Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

You are here: Home / Governance / Minutes / 2022 / October


Date: October 11, 2022

Place: Village Hall, 5906 Connecticut Avenue

Time: 7:30 PM

Present: Greg Chernack, Josh Galper, Phil Giordano, Maryann Luongo, Ashley Kavanaugh, Captain Jason Cokinos, and one Section 5 resident

Agenda Item: Greetings and Introductions

Chairman Greg Chernack called the meeting to order and welcomed those in attendance.

Agenda Item: Review and Approval of September Council Meeting Minutes

Chairman Chernack moved that the minutes from the September meeting be approved; there was a second, and the motion passed.

Agenda Item: Residents Comments

There were no resident questions.

Agenda Item: Monthly Financial Report

The Town Manager presented an overview of the Section’s current financial status, and entertained questions from the Council.

Agenda Item: Manager’s Report

-The Manager noted that the fall leaf collection is set to begin October 17, but few trees have started to drop leaves. She recommended moving the start to the following week. The Council agreed, and the Manager will notify the residents.

-Section 5 is now working with a new engineering firm, OIP, for all building application reviews. OIP had a brief transition period with Joe Toomey in September. We are excited about their work and hopeful they will be a good long-term fit for the Section.

-The Manager recently met with Jason Azar of Clark Construction to discuss possible storm drain improvements to help with flash flooding on Thornapple, Dalkeith, Underwood, and Williams. Jason advised that they could put together a proposal for a study with possible stormwater solutions. The study would cost about $5000 and take between four to six weeks to pull together. If the Section decides to proceed with their recommendations, Clark Azar would also help facilitate any meetings with Maryland’s DOT. The Council is in favor of the Manager working with Clark Azar on an initial agreement. The Manager will also involve OIP to help with oversight.

-The Manager said the Fall Block Party was held October 9 and we had an excellent turnout. Many new residents were in attendance, and it was a beautiful fall day.

-The Manager said that the WSSC Water Main Project is still in progress. They are working on Williams Lane now which will require partial street parking closures. The Manager will work with WSSC to make sure all residents are informed. Peter Noursi with OIP is also reviewing the road restoration work.

-Chairman Chernack reported that there was no new information on the Chevy Chase 4-H Center development.

-Chairman Chernack also noted that a resident had asked him about parking enforcement in driveway areas. The resident was interested in the Section creating additional no parking areas with paint along the side of driveways. The Council discussed the issue and concluded it might be difficult to do all the driveways and still allow for sufficient parking in areas that are especially limited in parking. As a first step, the Council asked the Manager to send out a reminder about parking laws in Montgomery County.


Chairman Chernack adjourned the meeting. The next meeting will be held November 8, 2022, at 7:30 PM at the Village Hall, 5906 Connecticut Avenue. The Village Hall has handicapped access. Everyone is welcome.