Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

You are here: Home / Governance / Minutes / 2022 / December


Date: December 13, 2022

Place: Village Hall, 5906 Connecticut Avenue

Time: 7:30 PM

Present: Josh Galper, Phil Giordano, Maryann Luongo, Ashley Kavanaugh, and Captain Jason Cokinos (Greg Chernack and Pat Xeller joined by phone.)

Agenda Item: Greetings and Introductions

Chairman Greg Chernack called the meeting to order and welcomed those in attendance.

Agenda Item: Review and Approval of November Council Meeting Minutes

Chairman Chernack moved that the minutes from the November meeting be approved; there was a second, and the motion passed.

Agenda Item: Residents Comments

There were no resident questions.

Agenda Item: Monthly Financial Report

The Town Manager presented an overview of the Section’s current financial status, and entertained questions from the Council.

Agenda Item: Manager’s Report

-There were two private tree permits approved this month. Unfortunately, there is a dispute over one of the removals. A neighbor believes one of the trees granted for removal was on her property. We are working to resolve the issue.

-The Section issued two building permits this month including one for a fence, and another for an addition with stormwater restrictions.

-The District 18 Delegation (Senator Waldstreicher, Delegate-Elect Kaufman, Delegate Shetty, and Delegate Solomon) have asked for a meeting with the Section 5 Council. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss how they can best support the Section and to outline shared priorities. They asked about Tuesday, January 10 at 6:30 PM before our regular meeting. The Council will get back to the Manager regarding timing.

-As the Council is aware, Section 5 was recently notified by the Hamlet’s Citizen Association, that they have asked the County to do a traffic study on Leland Street. The study included a car count for vehicular traffic during the morning and evening rush hours. It was determined that during the morning rush hour (7 to 9 AM) Leland Street, sees significant cut-through traffic and could qualify for possible traffic restrictions. The restriction that could be enacted is to allow for no westbound turns on Leland Street from Brookville Road between 7 and 9 AM. All residents would also be subject to the restriction. There is no exception for local traffic. Since a possible turn restriction on Leland could lead to more traffic on other Section streets, specifically Woodbine Street, we are in touch with County officials and have voiced our concerns. It is important to note that this traffic study is only the first step in a long process for the Hamlet. The County will post a sign on Brookville within the month to ask for feedback from residents. We will also alert residents by email once we have this information.

-At the November meeting there was a discussion of joining the Village of Chevy Chase in a letter to the Montgomery County Department of Transportation detailing concerns about upcoming changes to traffic lanes on Connecticut Avenue in Chevy Chase DC; specifically, the removal of the reversible lanes during rush hour and the proposed plan to replace the curb travel lane with a dedicated bike lane in each direction of Connecticut Avenue, N.W. The Manager said the Village of Chevy Chase had instead decided to send an individual letter to MCDOT. The Manager asked the Section Council if they would also be interested in sending an individual letter. The Council agreed and the Manager will draft something for the Council’s review.

-We held a community shred event on December 4 with Section 3 and Martins Additions. We had a great turnout. The Manager helped unload boxes for several hours, and there was always a steady stream of cars.

-Captain Jason Cokinos gave a brief update on crime trends in our area. He emphasized the importance of locking your cars and home.

-The Section’s Free Tree program was once again a big success. We have ordered 34 trees for planting. The nursery is still searching for a few of the trees so planting may not occur until the new year.

-Municipal attorney, Ron Bolt, will attend the January meeting to discuss several legal matters.

-WSSC finished its water main work on Williams Lane. The street is patched and will be repaved in the spring. The crews are now working in Section 3 and will not return to Section 5 until at least March.

--The Manager provided a brief update on the Corso Chevy Chase (4-H) Redevelopment. It was decided that Chairman Chernack would continue to be the point person on this project for Section 5.

-Finally, the Council approved providing traditional holiday cash bonuses to the sanitation and recycling crew members, as well as the Section’s two police officers, and a gift card for the Section arborist.


Chairman Chernack adjourned the meeting. The next meeting will be held January 10, 2023, at 7:30 PM at the Village Hall, 5906 Connecticut Avenue. The Village Hall has handicapped access. Everyone is welcome.