Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

You are here: Home / Governance / Minutes / 2022 / June


Date: June 14, 2022

Place: Conference Call Only

Time: 7:30 PM

Present: Greg Chernack, Pat Xeller, Maryann Luongo, Philip Giordano, Josh Galper, Ashley Kavanaugh, and several Section 5 residents.

Agenda Item: Greetings and Introductions

Chairman Greg Chernack called the meeting to order and welcomed those in attendance.

Agenda Item: Review and Approval of May Council Meeting Minutes

Chairman Chernack moved that the minutes from the May meeting be approved; there was a second, and the motion passed.

Agenda Item: Residents Comments

-A resident voiced concerns about the recent home protests held on Thornapple and Underwood Street. She asked that the Council engage with the Montgomery County Police Department to see if there are possible noise ordinances that are not being met and/or ways to limit the protests movement and frequency. Chairman Chernack said that he has already been in touch with other municipal leaders on this subject, and he plans to have additional conversations with MCPD.

-Another resident expressed frustration at the continued construction on Connecticut Avenue and the lack of traffic impact studies associated with the building. He urged the Council to continue to lobby the County Council and ask that they delay any more development along the Connecticut Avenue corridor without first looking at the impact of what is already there. Chairman Chernack said he has had multiple conversations with members of the County Council and the District 18 Delegation. The Section has also sent a letter emphasizing the concerns around traffic. Chairman Chernack will continue to stay engaged on this issue.

Agenda Item: Financial Report FY 2022

The Town Manager provided the Council members with copies of the financial report for FY 2022. The report included all revenues, expenses, and net income to date. The Manager noted that the final June State income tax payment for FY 2022 has not yet been made but is expected to be at least $89,000.

After reviewing the financial report, the Council recommended that a credit/rebate once again be provided to residents. Chairman Chernack moved that Section 5's Council provide a $700 real estate tax credit for each of the 227 households plus LaFerme restaurant for FY 2022. The motion was seconded, and it passed unanimously. The manager will notify Section 5's residents of the Council vote.

Agenda Item: Manager’s Report

-There were two tree removal permits approved this month.

-There were five new building permits issued.

-Section 5, along with Section 3 and Martin’s Additions, is trying to sponsor a Community Shred Event this summer. We are having a hard time securing a contractor and the event may be pushed until the fall.

-The Manager said that the Section attorney has prepared a right-of-way agreement for possible 5G cell tower/utility pole use. The agreement was coordinated through the Town of Chevy Chase. The Section passed an ordinance several years ago that outlines the need for a permit. The Manager will circulate the agreement to the Council for review.

-This annual Fourth of July Parade and Party is set. We will do moon bounces and water slides, and Rocklands will provide a buffet lunch.

-The Manager provided an update on the Brookville Water Main Replacement project. WSSC continues to experience supply chain issues. They are hoping to start work again in July.

-The Manager said that she had heard from several residents in one particular area regarding the recent rainstorm and flash flooding in their yards and basement. In general water issues on private property are considered the resident’s responsibility. However, this particular section of Underwood Street is seeing heavy water in large part due to issues with storm drain capacity. Two of the residents also have County storm drain grates located on their private property. When very heavy rains fall fast, the drains cannot keep up, and flood up and into their yard. The Section Manager encouraged them to reach out to the County directly and provide photos and video if possible. In addition to this, the Manager asked the Council to consider having our building engineer, Clark Azar, look at the area to see if they might have suggestions or recommendations for the County. The Council agreed to have CA come out and do an initial review.

-As a reminder, there will be no Council meeting in July or August.


Chairman Chernack adjourned the meeting. The next meeting will be held September 13, 2022, at 7:30 PM. Everyone is welcome.