Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

You are here: Home / Governance / Minutes / 2016 / June


Date: June 7, 2016

Place: Village Hall, 5906 Connecticut Avenue

Time: 7:30 PM

Present: Chris Richardson, Nancy Pines, Scott Livingston, Pat Xeller, Greg Chernack, Ashley Kavanaugh, three Section 5 residents, and two consultants, Kathryn Everett and Lauren Wheeler

Agenda Item: Welcome

Chair Chris Richardson called the meeting to order and welcomed those in attendance. Chris Richardson and Scott Livingston were then sworn into a second term and took the oath of office.

Agenda Item: Resident Comments

A resident inquired about the procedure for granting a speed hump in the Section. The resident submitted a petition in favor of adding a speed hump at the entrance of Leland Court. The petition was signed by all the residents on Leland Court, excluding one house that is currently vacant. The resident said there are several factors that play into the request. There are many children living in that area, a short neck of the road at the entrance, and no parking on one side of the street that leads to a blocked sight line. The Council will look into the request and consider a traffic study.

Agenda Item: Variance Request – 3708 Thornapple

A hearing was conducted. The applicant requested a waiver from the ordinance requiring that all patios be constructed with permeable materials. The applicant, Shelly and Andrew Rudge, their landscape designer, Ms. Kathryn Everett, and Professor Lauren Wheeler appeared at the hearing and provided testimony in support of their request.

Based upon the evidence presented, the Section 5 Town Council concluded that the applicant was entitled to the requested variance subject to a periodic inspection/maintenance requirement regarding the applicant’s proposed rain garden. After discussion and deliberation, Council Member Chris Richardson moved that the Town Attorney prepare a written Decision approving the request. Greg Chernack seconded the motion and it passed 3 to 2, with Greg Chernack, Chris Richardson (Chair), and Patricia Xeller voting in favor. Scott Livingston and Nancy Pines voted against the Decision and deemed no variance necessary.

Agenda Item: Financial Report FY 2016

The Town Manager provided the Council members with copies of the financial report for FY 2016 for revenues, expenses, and net income to date. The last large State income tax payment for FY 2016 has not yet been made, but is expected to total close to $100,000. Once this payment is included, it is clear that the total for revenues for FY 2016 will significantly exceed expenses. As is customary, when the Town revenue exceeds expenditures, the Council has chosen to provide a real estate tax credit to the Section 5 residents and the restaurant La Ferme. The Town is still considering street and sidewalk work that may be included in the overall expense total for the current fiscal year, as well as waiting to see if FEMA will reimburse the Section for part of Winter Storm Jonas snow removal costs. Due to these possible outstanding expenditures, and uncertainty regarding FEMA reimbursement, it was recommended that the Council provide a $700 real estate tax credit for each of the 227 households plus La Ferme Restaurant for FY 2016. This is in line with the FY 2015 amount. The Council was in agreement. Chris moved that Section 5's Council provide a $700 real estate tax credit for each of the 227 households plus La Ferme for FY 2016. The motion was seconded, and it passed unanimously. The Manager will contact the County Finance person, and ask them to reduce the real estate tax bill for each of Section 5's 227 households plus La Ferme for FY 2016 by $700. The manager will notify Section 5's residents of the Council votes.

Agenda Item: Manager’s Report

The Town Manager indicated that all Section 5 bank accounts need to be updated and noted accordingly in the meeting minutes to include current Council members and the new Town Manager as authorized signers.

For the Eagle Bank accounts, Frances Higgins will be removed as a signer, and Ashley Kavanaugh will be added to both accounts as an authorized signer and designated as Secretary on the account in her capacity as Town Manager.

For the Bank of America account, the Section will add Greg Chernack, Pat Xeller, Scott Livingston, and Ashley Kavanaugh in her capacity as Town Manager and designated as Secretary on the account, as authorized signers. Chair Chris Richardson who was previously Vice-Chair will remain an authorized signer, as well as Nancy Pines.

In other business the Town manager indicated she is:

  • Finishing FY 2016 books in preparation for the audit.
  • Working to complete invitation to bid on street/sidewalk/curb and gutter maintenance. We have found that WSSC is planning work for at least five Section streets. Due to the uncertainty of the timeline and scope of WSSC’s project, we may now look to initially address only sidewalks, curbs, and gutters.
  • The Manager will prepare an invitation to bid on the Section’s tree maintenance for FY 2017.
  • The Manager plans to begin work on updating the Section’s paper directory this summer with the intent to print a new one this Fall.
  • Upcoming Section events include: June 25 Bulk Trash pick-up, and the July 4 event.

Chris adjourned the meeting. The next meeting will be held September 13, 2016, at 7:30 PM at the Village Hall, 5906 Connecticut Avenue. The Village Hall has handicapped access. Everyone is welcome.